3/13/2014

Review: Burn Out

Burn Out by Kristi Kelvig
Release Date: April 8 2014

I really don't know what to say other than: This book is fantastic

Tora believes she is the last person on Earth. Everyone with money left the planet a long time ago and those without have died from the extreme elements. She hopes to get a ride to the new planet with a friend but she knows that isn't very likely. Really, she is waiting to die. 

Tora is also the reluctant guard of a stockpile of very dangerous weapons. 

Enter the mercenaries. Tora finds herself surrounded by a group that wants her weapons and they are all surrounded by someone who wants them all dead. She is forced to depend on and trust with her life near strangers that don't even trust each other.

Usually when an author wants a "strong female lead" they are trying to write someone like Tora. She is resourceful, outspoken, clever, stubborn, and cunning.  She's watched the world end around her -- literally and figuratively, but she's still a teenager.  She thinks one of the mercenaries is cute but she knows that maybe this isn't the right time to daydream about that. 

Usually I would be annoyed that we know so little about Markus and his friends. But this way you're going along for the ride with Tora, trying to figure out who was can trust. 

I would never spoil an ending, but I will say that I nearly threw my Nook across the room when I realized that I had read the last page.